An Adelaide underworld figure has been jailed for at least 18 months for threatening to shoot a man with a fake firearm in the driveway of their southern suburbs home in 2019.
- Mathew Kokotis pointed a replica pistol at his former girlfriend’s new partner outside the couple’s home in 2019
- He has been jailed for at least 18 months over the crime
- The sentence comes after the Crown successfully appealed his original home detention penalty
District Court Judge Timothy Heffernan on Thursday sentenced fully patched Comancheros’ member and former Hells Angel Mathew Kokotis to 30 months’ jail, with a non-parole period of almost 18 months for threatening harm.
The 45-year-old was re-sentenced in the District Court after a successful Crown appeal against his original penalty of home detention.
During the hearing, the court was told Kokotis and his co-accused approached the Reynella house armed with baseball bats asking for a bag, but he got a “rush of jealousy” when he saw his former partner with another man.
Judge Heffernan said Kokotis then pointed a replica pistol at his victim’s head for 43 seconds and threatened to shoot him, as his ex-partner pleaded with the bikie not to shoot him in front of her son.
ADVERTISEMENT: Blueskysea A12 Motorcycle Dash Cam Camera,1080p 30fps Dual Wide Angle 150° Lens Sportbike Recording DVR with 3” Full Fit Screen Waterproof 32GB…
“You were not going to let anyone get between you and your victim. You said you intended to shoot someone … and handled the [replica firearm] as if it was real,” he said.
“This was far more than chest beating — this was terrifying for the victims.”
Judge Heffernan said the two victims did not provide statements to police and had not suffered any psychological damage from the incident.
“But I do not accept this is a victim-less crime or a crime without a true victim,” he said.
“Members of outlaw motorcycle gangs will habitually not cooperate with police. In the court’s experience, the same can be said for partners of members or former members.”
ADVERTISEMENT: Kuryakyn 2720 MTX Road Thunder Weather Resistant Motorcycle Sound Bar Plus: 300 Watt Handlebar Mounted Audio Speakers with Bluetooth, USB Power Charger
The judge said Kokotis did not deny his membership with the Comancheros and that he had hosted parties with other members at his house.
He said Kokotis should not be punished for his association with the gang, but it meant he had poor prospects at rehabilitation.
Source: ABC AU
- Former Pct. 4 constable deputy charged with murder in motorcyclist’s killing, only ABC13 has learned
- A member of the Bandidos motorcycle club is accused of fatally shooting a member of a rival club
- Mallorca’s Hells Angels trial awaits a verdict in Spain
- Quorn factory worker avoids prison after killing biker in Christmas Day tragedy
- Utah company is developing a flying motorcycle
- Harley-Davidson Mother Lake Rides